WV DEP Pharmaceutical Waste FAQ
Rule Changes from the WV Department of Environmental Protection to Impact Healthcare Facilities and Reverse Distributors
The WV BOP was notified July 15, 2020 by the WV Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP) that WV adopted and incorporated by reference the requirements of 40 CFR Subpart P, also known as the “Pharmaceuticals Rule”, into the WV Hazardous Waste Management Rule (33 CSR 20). The Pharmaceutical Rule became effective July 1, 2020 in all parts of the State.
WVDEP is developing educational materials for pharmacies and healthcare facilities to assist them in the proper management of pharmaceutical waste under these new requirements. The Pharmaceuticals Rule will bring changes to the management of the following materials:
· Potentially creditable hazardous waste pharmaceuticals in reverse distribution,
· Non-creditable hazardous waste pharmaceuticals,
· Nicotine Reduction Therapy and vaping product wastes,
· DEA Controlled Substances and household pharmaceuticals from Drug Take-Back programs or events, and
· Hazardous waste determinations for any OTC pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements and other retail items not eligible for reverse logistics.
To assist pharmacies and healthcare facilities with education and awareness of these new requirements, the WVDEP has developed a free online webinar. The webinar is available by clicking the link entitled “Pharmaceutical Rule Guidance for Healthcare Facilities and Reverse Distributors” on DEP’s webpage at https://dep.wv.gov/WWE/ee/hw/Pages/Generator-Assistance.aspx
Attn: Marjorie Skeens
601 57th St SE
[note Box 2 on the form should be left blank if they have not previously notified and obtained an EPA ID number.]Charleston, WV 25304
Click the link below to view a webinar on hazardous waste pharmaceuticals presented by WVDEP